Presenting Dr. Toy's Books
|Join Dr. Toy at FAO Schwarz in San Francisco at Union Square on Saturday, June 24 from 1 pm to 3 pm for a book signing of her latest book -
"Toys for a Lifetime"
Dr. Toys Smart Play: How to Raise a Child With a High P.Q.*(Play Quotient)
Stevanne Auerbach, Ph.D./ Dr. Toy
Director, The Institute for Childhood Resources, San Francisco, CA.
St. Martins Press, Griffin Trade Paperback, New York, February,1998.
Purchase on- line from Amazon Books, e-toys, or at your local favorite book or toy store.
- Written by a child development, psychology and education specialist with more than 25 years of experience Dr. Toys Smart Play helps parents learn about the importance of play and the role of toys and other children's products in their childs development.
- This book explains why play is essential in developing a well-rounded, resilient child and indicates the types of toys and playthings most valuable in supporting the childs fullest potential- mentally, physically, emotionally and socially.
- Dr. Toy helps parents understand the childs developmental stages and the P.Q.the Play Quotient. They learn why toys and playthings are important, how to be their childs "Play Tutor," how to help their child use toys wisely at each stage, plus what is safe and smart to purchase.
- Parents learn to appreciate why playing together helps to strengthen and improve parent-child relationships. Dr. Toy provides many practical ideas to enhance playtime, indoors and outdoors, for all children from baby to older children.
- Dr. Toys Smart Play is based on Dr. Auerbachs many years of training, experience with toys and childrens products and observations of thousands of children at play.
- Dr. Toy points out that parents are their childs first "Big Toy" and as such must teach them the skills necessary to learn and grow through play.
- This book, is a guide to selecting the best types of basic, beneficial products from among the many products offered at good childrens stores. Parents learn what to look for while observing their child at play, how to better understand the signs of readiness and when to introduce the right toy to facilitate optimal developmental skills and, of course, have fun.
- Dr. Toy's reports, Dr.Toys Best Toys and Products, and others are found free on the world wide Internet at http:drtoy.com visited by thousands of consumers daily. Her weekly column, Dr. Toy, for King Features Syndicate is distributed to 1,500 newspapers. With the book's release Dr. Toy will appear in the media, in selected book and toy specialty stores, at conferences and in other locales.
©1998, Stevanne Auerbach, Ph.D./Dr. Toy, San Francisco, Ca.
MORE ABOUT DR TOY'S SMART PLAY
- For more information write to Dr. Toy via e-mail:
- Foreign Rights handled by Sebastian Literary Agency, San Francisco, California.
- Dr. Toy available for interviews, presentations and in-store book signings (toy, book, children's products, teacher, software and children's museum stores).
- Media contact Chris Ahearn, St. Martin's Press, 212-674-5151 ext. 506.
COMMENTS ABOUT DR. TOY'S SMART PLAY
- Michael B. Rothenberg, MD. Professor Emeritus Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and Pediatrics
- Nilda G. Cosco, Director, Lekotek
- Gene Del Vecchio, Senior Partner, Director of Planning & Research, Ogilvy & Mather
- Kathryn Carpenter, American Library Association
- JJ Despain, journalist
- Lawrence Kutner, Ph.D. Child Behavior Columnist, Parent's Magazine
- Alexandra Tornek, Parent/infant researcher
- Alice Bergman, West Side Kids Toy Store (ASTRA member)
- Moss Kardener,Consultant, Marketing & Product Development, OnStrategy, Oakland, CA
- Joel Delman, Product Developer, Chicago, IL
- Vicki Lansky, author
- Helen Webber, Designer, San Raphael, CA.
- Kim Thompson, President, Twin Sisters Productions
- Dr. Betty Halpern, Professor Emeritus, Sonoma State University,CA.
- Richard C. Levy, Toy Inventor & Author
- Dorothy W. Hewes, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, San Diego State University
- Gina Moreland, Board President, Habitot Children's Museum
- Edgar Klugman, Professor, Early Childhood Care and Education, Wheelock College, Boston, MA.
- Shannon Tobin, President & CEO, Children's Interactive Expo
- Dr. Stevanne Auerbach really understands children, play and toys. This book is a wonderful resource for parents, teachers and everyone who works and plays with children.
Michael B. Rothenberg, MD.
Professor Emeritus Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and Pediatrics
University of Washington, School of Medicine
Co-author, Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care( 1985, 1992) Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a very comprehensive book, easy to read for parents and very useful for professionals. Beyond the use of toys and play I would celebrate the attention Dr. Toy gives to family relationships of children's quality of life turning parents into "Play Tutors"-the play guardians of their children.
Nilda G. Cosco
Buenos Aires, Argentina Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a fabulous read. It will help both parents and marketers gain keen insights into the importance and selection of a child's playthings.
Gene Del Vecchio
Senior Partner, Director of Planning & Research, Ogilvy & Mather
Author of "Creating Ever Cool, A Marketer's Guide to a Kid's Heart" Return to List Next
- Play, especially active, creative, and educational play, helps children develop such basic social and academic skills as concentration, problem solving, communication, and cooperation. Factors such as safety, durability, flexibility, and age appropriateness complicate the challenge parents face in choosing the right toys for their children at the right time. Auerbach applies her scientific but not preachy expertise to that challenge. She relies as much on common sense and parenting insight as on scholarly research to suggest toys ranging from brooms and plastic cups to books and watercolors to amuse, stimulate, and activate children. Individual chapters describe developmental progress from infancy through age 12, advising age-appropriate toys and products as well as items for children with special needs. For backup to the book, Auerbach, familiar to many for her syndicated column, "Dr. Toy," maintains a Web site for toy evaluation. (ISBN 0-312-18089-6).
American Library Association, Feb. 15, 1998 Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is the best tool out there for parents, grandparents,teachers and anyone else with children in their lives. It's a quick and entertaining read, packed full of valuable information and ideas dealing with childhood development. I've quoted from it in Baby Magazine and Parenting, and I won't hesitate to use it again when I write another article about children and their toys. My only regret is this book wasn't around when my kids were young
JJ Despain, journalist Return to List Next
- Play truly is the work of childhood. Stevanne Auerbach (Dr. Toy) offers both practical advice and subtle insights for parents on how they can help their children make the most of play without spending a lot of money. This is really useful stuff!
Lawrence Kutner, Ph.D.
Child Behavior Columnist
Parent's Magazine Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a must-have reference for any parent. It applies a wealth of vital knowledge on how toys can enhance the intellectual development and growth of children. "Smart Play" is hands-on, and fun!
Parent/infant researcher Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a great guide for anyone searching for the right toy for creative play, building developmental skills or for just plain fun. Its easy to use and well organized. Invaluable!
West Side Kids Toy Store (ASTRA member)
New York City, NY Return to List Next
- Stevanne Auerbach takes a hands-on, practical approach that demonstrates to parents how best to select good toys and foster the benefits of developmentally-consistent play with their children. Moreover, this comprehensive guide provides valuable insights...especially for those of us who shape and influence toys of the future!
Marketing & Product Development
OnStrategy, Oakland, California Return to List Next
- The first book to explain exactly how and why children play as they do at various stages of their lives, "Dr. Toy's Smart Play" should be required reading for product designers, inventors and toy developers. Presented in a friendly, easy-to-read fashion, we need this information to truly understand how the products we create are used by parents and children alike. This book would make a great text for those in toy biz.
Chicago, IL Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play Everything you want to know, but more important-what you need to know.
Vicki Lansky, author of: "Feed Me I'm Yours" and..
"Games Babies Play and Practical Tips for Years 1-5"
http://www:practicalparenting.com Return to List Next
- A great resource for this grandma who is always looking for special toys and activities. All children are special and this book addresses this specialness by helping adults appreciate the wonders of play.
San Raphael, CA Return to List Next
- As a busy working parent this book is useful, practical and a much needed resource. It is well planned, valuable and must have resource to use year after year.
President, Twin Sisters Productions
Akron, Ohio Return to List Next
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a remarkable book. Although it is addressed to the parent (a child's first teacher) it will also contribute greatly to the teaching skills of teachers and child care workers. Dr. Auerbach includes an excellent overview of development beginning with infants through age twelve. Her resources are carefully chosen and well documented. As a long time educator I strongly recommend this book. Play is a child's work and Dr. Toy details how a knowledge of and involvement in play can enhance a child's growth in all areas. I urge you to read this important, wonderful and insightful book.
Dr. Betty Halpern
Sonoma State University,CA Return to List Next
- Smart Play + Smart Parents = Smart Kids. Stevanne Auerbach, Ph.D. writes with the rare power of original analysis. Smart Play is the most significant, thorough and thoughtful book yet for parents wishing to match the right toy to the right stage of their child's early development. Follow Dr. Toy's prescription for a happy and skill building childhood.
Richard C. Levy
Toy Inventor & Author
Inside Santa's Workshop & The Inventor's Desktop Companion Return to List Next
- Even before Frederich Froebel invented the kindergarten and popularized the slogan of "Come, let us live with our children" during the 1840's, philosophers and wise parents recognized the importance of play. Developmental psychologists have emphasized its importance throughout the twentieth century. Recent Scientific discoveries about physical changes in the brain when babies and young children are intellectually stimulated now validate this old idea. We recognize that school readiness begins at birth and that family members are the best possible Play Tutors. There are incredible opportunities, but a lot of confusing alternatives. I'm delighted to know that Dr. Toy's Smart Play will be available to guide parents. It is filled with informed wisdom, inexpensive suggestions and ideas for a lot of fun. Enjoy!
Dorothy W. Hewes, Ph.D.
Department of Child and Family Development
San Diego State University, CA Return to List Next
- Dr. Auerbach's new book, Dr. Toy's Smart Play, helps parents separate the wheat from the chaff in today's toy market. Research on brain growth and development in early childhood makes clear that stimulating learning experiences are critical in the first five years. This well-researched book shows parents and other care providers how to chose toys with lasting value and educational content and make the most of their children's playthings.
Habitot Children's Museum
Berkeley, CA Return to List Next
- In Dr. Toy's Smart Play Dr. Auerbach draws on her many years of experience as a teacher, child development specialist, parent educator, syndicated columnist, author of books and, of course, parent and grandparent to bring together this inclusive, wise, clear book which provides excellent information based on her thorough understanding of both children and adults.
Early Childhood Care and Education
Wheelock College, Boston, Mass Return to List Next
- There is only one definitive source on quality children's products and that is Dr. Toy. She is informed, knowledgeable and experienced. Her new book, Dr. Toy's Smart Play, provides answers to often asked questions. Every parent and teacher should have a copy. It's an invaluable resource.
President & CEO
Children's Interactive Expo Return to List Previous Top of Page Index
THE TOY CHEST
A Sourcebook of Toys for Children